Although you can live without your spleen or with only one kidney, you cannot live without your heart! That is why you need to take care of it. Heart health begins early in childhood, and is about adopting a healthy lifestyle overall. One of the best ways to have a healthy heart, and prevent the development of heart disease is exercise.
Do not be sedentary! Television, computers, and video games are all fun ways to unwind and have some fun or relaxation, but they are resulting in a sedentary population. This is a real concern for the younger generations, who are growing up with this technology. It is up to the adults in their lives to provide a good example of what being healthy entails, and the long-term benefits of doing so.
- Here are some ideas on incorporating exercise into your lifestyle:
Use the stairs more instead of the elevator.
- Park farther away in the parking lot.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Buy active video games that require you to dance or play sports. This is a great way to have fun while working up a sweat, and getting some much-needed exercise.
- Exercise on a treadmill or other exercise equipment while watching television, listening to music, or a podcast. This makes the time go by so much more quickly.
- Join some team sports. Again, if you are having fun, you will not even notice that you are getting the benefits of exercise while doing so.
The most benefits of exercise result when exercise is more vigorous. However, you should always check with your physician before starting an exercise program, particularly if you have been very inactive.
Why is exercise so important for your heart health? Exercise helps you lose weight, or maintain a healthy weight. When you exercise, you also reduce the chances of developing other health problems (some of which can be associated with unhealthy weights) such as diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. If you already have diabetes, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure, exercise can help control these conditions.
It helps control stress. It would be nice to get rid of all stress in your life, but that is not very realistic. However, exercise is a proven way of controlling the stress in your life. By controlling stress, you can protect your heart from the negative effects that stress causes.
To sum things up, exercise is one method to ensure a healthy heart. There are many ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, but the most benefit will be derived from more vigorous exercise. Just be sure to check with your physician for clearance before beginning a particular exercise program.